This is my visual representation

About Me

Seattle-ish, WA
30-something years old guy who attempts to make sense of everything happening around him and ultimately just having more questions than answers

Monday, September 28, 2009

Norse Mythology and my tattoo

My fascination with Norse Mythology started when I was in high school. We were assigned to study world mythology. I was sure everyone else would stick to Classic Greek and Roman mythology and to some extent Ancient Egyptian. I liked them all but I wanted to see what else was out there and I didn't want to give the same presentation (over-achiever, I know.) Our teacher listed possible ideas and that is when I found the Norse/Viking mythology.

When I turned 18, I decided I wanted to get a tattoo, but I didn't know what I wanted. I wasn't going to choose something randomly, I wanted it to have meaning. I was looking through Dungeons and Dragons stuff for inspiration, something that had meaning, a picture or a symbol, but nothing came to mind that I would want to permanently etch on myself.

A few years later, I got into Divination. Among the things I collected were tarot cards, books on numerology and astrology, and rune stones. The runes stuck out because I remember seeing them from somewhere, but couldn't remember. I found a book on runes and found it was used as a Scandinavian alphabet. Coupled with the runes symbolic meanings and my fascination with Norse Mythology, I found an idea for my tattoo. I researched tattoos and runes and found bind runes which took several runes and combined them all into one symbol. I found what I wanted and now I just needed to find the right runes:

Tiwaz: The symbol for Tyr, the Warrior god. The god who sacrificed his hand to bind Fenrir. This symbol is the warrior's symbol most often seen on shields or armor. It means courage and bravery and justice.
Algiz: An overall protection symbol.
Eihwaz: Symbolizes the yew tree. It has a meaning of death or a change to come. The yew was used to create bow staves and so the symbol also has the meaning of defense.
Odin's Cross: This symbol is also known as the solar cross. It is a very old symbol that has many representations, the cycle of life and death, the passing of seasons, a representation Earth.

Altogether, I created a bind rune with the three runes above and attached them to each spoke on Odin's cross.



No comments:

Post a Comment