This is my visual representation

About Me

Seattle-ish, WA
30-something years old guy who attempts to make sense of everything happening around him and ultimately just having more questions than answers

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I Heart Weezer


Weezer - Keep Fishin'

Ever since the Blue Album, I have been a fan of Weezer. I admit I lean to the older stuff than the newer, but the new stuff is just as good in their own right.

Their latest song "(If you're wondering if I want you to) I want you to," is pretty high up in the charts. I was attempting to get the music video for it as of the date of this blog, but there doesn't seem to be any. It's alright, the song is on their website and it's getting a lot of radio airplay.

I've always noticed how Weezer straddles that line between pop and alternative. You can very well say they are pop since they are "pop"ular, but there is a degree of playfulness around that idea. From the Red Album, "Pork and Beans" had a music video showing some of the more popular viral videos out there; again popular but there is a geek tendency to that. We're a little hard pressed to bring geek and popular together, but there it is.

Even early on there was that geek factor that made Weezer all the more awesome. From the Blue Album I listened to "In the garage," where Rivers sings, "I've got a Dungeon Masters Guide, Ive got a 12-sided die," resonating my own D&D days. Many years later, I got to see them with Tenacious D in concert. It was a very popular show, but also very geeky in who came to see it, I saw many people sporting the same glasses Rivers wears.

Through the years, Weezer just keeps churning out the hits. Each album had a successful song or two, and from there the albums, in my opinion, would get better through age. Pinkerton, which was given a rather dismal review early on, seem to have gained strength in opinion, after so many years. For a while, the emo-kids were calling it their favorite album.

That riff heavy sound and catchy lyric formula that Weezer employs is still evident in "I Want you to" so I can see their seventh album Raditude, making a very strong showing when it finally comes out in November. Now I'm just wondering when they will come out with their next Weezer album that is a color. Blue, Green, and Red are now done, what will be next?

No comments:

Post a Comment