This is my visual representation

About Me

Seattle-ish, WA
30-something years old guy who attempts to make sense of everything happening around him and ultimately just having more questions than answers

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Song of the Day: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights



Let me tell you my turbulent relationship with Wuthering Heights.

When I was in high school this was one of the books we analyzed in class to exhaustive extent. After that class, I avoided anything with the Bronte name. Somewhere in that time frame, I started listening to Kate Bush. Kate Bush falls in the artist realm for me with Bjork and Imogen Heap: eclectic, evolving, mood-driven. I was listening to my aunt's Kate Bush CD and of course this song was on it. As soon as I heard the chorus, "Heathcliff, it's me, Cathy, come home, I'm so cold, let me in-a-your window," I cringed. I instantly thought, "Is this Wuthering Heights?!" I looked at the CD and cringed again. After all that pain I endured in class because of that book, here it is haunting me.

Of course I no longer cringe at Wuthering Heights, in fact, the hopeless romantic in me actually loves the tale (but I still won't touch a Bronte Novel - give me a good sci-fi/fantasy book). I've come to terms with that book, now anything by Faulkner and Fitsgerald can go F*** off. Well not that bad, I was going for hyperbole and alliteration.

No comments:

Post a Comment