This is my visual representation

About Me

Seattle-ish, WA
30-something years old guy who attempts to make sense of everything happening around him and ultimately just having more questions than answers

Thursday, July 23, 2009

They Might be Giant Tiny Toons.

One of my fondest memories of discovering a band was when I was watching Tiny Toon Adventures. Every once in a while the show did their own take on music videos. I recall one bit was done using Aretha Franklin's Respect. It, like all things Tiny Toons, was entertaining.

I forgot which I heard first, but both
Particle Man and Istanbul (Not Constantinople) by They Might be Giants were very well interpreted by Tiny Toons. I just remember it being upbeat, catchy and intellectual with just a touch of smarmy. I like smarmy; it's the hint of a smile person has when they are being mischevious.

I didn't know that an actually band had recorded these songs, but when I did learn, I had to find their other stuff. Of course, I learned later that
Istanbul (Not Constantinople) is a cover, but I like the TMBG version better anyway. I felt most of their songs were allegorical even before I knew what that was. Thank you Tiny Toons for introducing me to a band that elevates my geek-cred.

Tiny Toons - Particle Man


Tiny Toons - Istanbul



By the way, Sid Meier's Civilization obviously knew the song as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment