This is my visual representation

About Me

Seattle-ish, WA
30-something years old guy who attempts to make sense of everything happening around him and ultimately just having more questions than answers

Monday, August 3, 2009

What happened to Alternative? or rather, What Happened to Me?!

During my teen years I found my music affinity. I resented pop, country just isn't my thing, rap got a little too hardcore for me. There were always exceptions, since music is fluid and some thing just don't fall in a specific genre or better the song is just that good that you cannot deny it. Nevertheless, I gravitated to alternative music.

I can say that grunge was my gateway genre, because it was through that I found other bands not specific to the type. I remember some bands saying they were influenced by the Smiths, or The Clash, or any others. I noticed some fell in the New Wave and others were rather alternative for their time. If I recall, Bauhaus was a totally different sound then anything that was their contemporary. I basked in the glory of all things grunge and alternative and dark (not too dark - got into goth what people call emo now - but not too heavy).

Fast forward 15 years. Grunge is now a memory of the 90s. I know my taste changed since then. I no longer resent pop - probably in a happier place in my mind now. Still not into country much, even during its resurgence earlier this decade. Rap is meh. Really got into dance; probably a backlash from liking pop. But what happened to Alternative? What happened to that musical niche I had what seemed so long ago? It, like me, changed. I think we have been so far apart for so long we both changed into something different. I listen to the Alternative station in Seattle and it doesn't feel right. I look at the charts and they seem kinda so-so. I looked to the old station I listened to when I was in San Francisco, still there but very similar to the station up here.

I think I need to revisit my old taste in music. I need to rekindle that relationship I had with alternative. I look back and notice my favorites were not always the ones that made it to the top of the charts, time for me to look a the guys and girls who stay below the music industries radar. It's my own personal music second revolution.

No comments:

Post a Comment